Online shopping is all about convenience, but one experience the customers do not have is the ability to touch and feel the product before buying it. Therefore, they heavily rely on the product images to make a buying decision. This means that the product images directly affect the online buying behaviour of the customers. Simply put, it is very important for you, as online sellers, to showcase your products in the best way possible via quality images.
The product images should be crisp and convey details about the product like colour, dimension and material. Good product images not only drive sale but also help you build your brand image and over a period of time, customer loyalty
Have you ever heard the saying “A good product image is worth a hundred online sales?” Maybe it hasn’t caught on just yet, but it certainly applies in ecommerce marketplaces.
Why are product images important?
Product photos effectively communicate to your customers the details of your product in ways product copy cannot. Here are some of the biggest factors:
- what the shopper sees first Product photos capture attention. Shoppers want to ensure the product matches their expectations, whether they’re looking for specific colors, sizes, styles or other qualities that make or break their opinion of the product.
- They help customers better understand your products
Modern online shopping experiences are all about convenience. One thing this experience lacks is the opportunity for customers to physically handle a product they’re interested in. High quality product photos — from multiple angles — help fill this gap by providing your customers with the information they need. And when customers can easily access the information they want, they’re much more likely to come back for more.
- They give you a competitive edge
Online shoppers are inundated with options. Product options, pricing options, rating and reviews and so much more. It should be assumed your customers will check competitors’ products before making a decision. It’s imperative your product photos are enticing and make your products as appealing as possible to capture the sale as quickly as possible.
some of the guidelines on how to do product imaging
- High-resolution images: Make sure your products are shot on a professional camera with a high-resolution lens. The images should be of good quality and not be blurry. They should convey details of the product upon viewing. The lighting while shooting your product must not be too bright or too dull. Good product images enable the customers to make an informed buying decision and earn their trust in your brand.
- Image angle: The first image that is displayed on the search and product page is called a ‘main image’. Always ensure that the main image contains the front view of the product. The back view of the product as the main image is not suitable. The rest of the images should cover all the other angles of the product possible, so as to display exactly what the customers are buying.
- White background: Provide a white background for all your products while uploading the images. The white background helps in emphasising the product features. If your products are white in colour, you can slightly tweak the tone of the white background to distinguish between the two.
- Product size: The product size in the image should neither be too large or too small. If the product size is too small, there will be a lot of white space around it in the image and some of the details may get missed out. If the product size is too large, some of the features may go out of focus. Both these issues will lead to a bad customer experience and in turn may affect your product rating. Hence, it is a good practice to bear in mind the aspect ratios of the images.